Most homeowners prefer to secure their homes with electronic deadbolts because they are more durable and reliable than traditional deadbolts. They provide more robust safety measures and cannot be destroyed easily by burglars.
Over time, your deadbolt may malfunction due to constant use, daily wear and tear, or damaged tumbler and pins. It is essential to replace your deadbolt immediately once you notice this issue. Replacing it yourself will save you a lot of money, but it may be challenging if you have not tried it before.
Continue reading this article to learn how to install an electronic deadbolt by yourself.
When It’s Time to Replace a Deadbolt lock
Though deadbolt locks are more reliable than conventional door locks, they also wear out because of constant use and need replacement over time. Check below to know the appropriate time for replacing a deadbolt lock:
- It is crucial to replace your deadlock bolt immediately if your keys are misplaced or stolen and you know someone else might have access to them.
- Replacing a deadbolt lock is essential when the tumblers and the pins of the deadbolt are bad. It is better to replace the whole unit instead of repairing each part.
- Changing your outdoor deadbolt lock when you move into a new home is advisable, even though you trust the previous owner or tenant. This will help to improve your home security.
- You also need to change your deadbolt lock when you notice that daily wear and tear has weakened the security of your deadbolt lock, and it is not functioning perfectly again.
Benefits of installing a keypad deadbolt
Here are the various benefits of installing a keypad deadbolt:
- It eliminates the usage of keys
Installing a keypad deadbolt helps to save you the stress of carrying keys around, and you need not worry about losing keys.
- You can easily change entry codes.
You can create a working pin on your keypad deadbolt for others as the owner. If you also notice that one of the entry codes is compromised, you can easily deactivate the access code and create a new one.
- It is reliable and durable.
Keypad deadbolts are made of strong materials that intruders cannot quickly destroy. Only those that have working entry codes will be able to open your door.
- Easy to install
Since keypad deadbolts do not use mechanical parts, you can easily install a deadbolt by yourself with the help of a step-by-step guide.
Tools for keyless entry deadbolt installation
The first thing you need to do before you start a keyless entry deadbolt lock installation is to gather the necessary tools. The tools you will need for this installation are listed below:
- Wood chisel
- Hole saw
- Drill bit
- Spade bit
- Flathead screwdriver
- Philips screwdriver
- Metal Lubricants
How to Pick the Right Electronic Deadbolt
Before you start looking for the electronic deadbolt you want, you must first list your requirements.
- First, you need to decide the one you want between a double vs. single-cylinder deadbolt.
- It would help if you also chose between a keyed and keypad deadbolt.
How to Replace an Old or Damaged Deadbolt
The steps below will guide you through replacing your deadbolt lock with a new one:
STEP 1: Remove Old Deadbolt Lock
- First, you need to unlock the old deadbolt and adjust the lock to make the screws on the inside faceplate accessible.
- Loose the screws on the inside faceplate with your Philips screwdriver and remove the faceplate.
- Next, loose the screws holding the strike plate to the door and remove the strike plate.
STEP 2: Install the New Deadbolt
- Once the new deadbolt aligns with the existing hole in your door, you can proceed with the new deadlock installation.
- Slide the lock and the strike plate into the door and ensure that the latch is in the center of the door hole before you start screwing the strike plate into the door.
- Attach the front and back plates to the door and ensure the screw hole on the front faceplate aligns with the back faceplates.
- Hold the front and back plates firm with your hand to keep them in position, and tighten the screws holding the front and back faceplate.
- Finally, test your new deadbolt from the inside and outside to know if it works perfectly.
How to install a keyless entry deadbolt
Follow the steps below to learn how to install a keyless entry deadbolt:
STEP 1: Remove Old Deadbolt Lock
- First, you must unlock the old deadbolt and lose the screws with the Philips screwdriver.
- Next, remove the old deadbolt and all its accessories from your door.
STEP 2: Install the Keyless Entry Deadbolt
- Once the deadbolt aligns with the backset, you can now install the deadbolt and the new strike plate into your door.
- Install the lock’s internal mounting plate and the keypad. Ensure the keypad and mounting plate are correctly set before you screw the mounting plate to the keypad.
- Fix the latch to the plate properly and screw it.
- Next, insert the batteries, close the battery compartment door, and program your entry code.
- Finally, test your new keyless entry deadbolt installation to see if it works perfectly.
What else should we look out for during the keypad deadlock installation?
The things you need to look out for during an electronic deadbolt installation are listed below:
- You need to check the dimension of the keyless deadbolt lock because they tend to be thicker and longer than keyed deadlocks in size.
- Ensure that the cables are correctly connected, and the batteries are well inserted into the battery compartment.
- The existing jam hole may not be wide enough for the keypad deadbolt; therefore, you need to cut out the wood to the perfect size with your chisel and hammer.
- Finally, you have to set your code before you can start operating your new keypad deadbolt.
Rely on Be-Tech to Ensure the Security of Your Home
Be-tech is a leading smart lock manufacturer in China you can rely on to ensure the security of your home. This electronic lock factory has been in the business for nearly 30 years and is known for offering unique electronic locks with amazing features. At Be-tech, we adhere strictly to BHMA, RoHS, UL, and CE industry standards. Contact Be-Tech digital lock company today to buy the high-quality smart locks that suit your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens When the Batteries Die?
You will only be able to operate your deadbolt if you use the mechanical override key.
How Long Do the Batteries Last?
Generally, the batteries are expected to last between 8- 16 months, but how long they will last will be determined by how often you use the lock.
Are electronic deadbolts safe?
Yes, electronic deadbolts are safe because they are made of high-quality materials that cannot be easily breakthrough by intruders.